Sunday, September 19, 2010

Make yourself at home . . .

It's been a very long time since I've posted on this blog. Honestly, I've been in a pretty serious funk the last several months, but I'm trying to work my way through it. I started a new recipe blog, Dining with the Davis', and have been spending more time working on it.  But, that's not what this post is about.

whereyoulivebutton

I'm so excited that Kelly has started up her "Show Us Your Life" series again. This week it's "Show Us Your Living Rooms." Well, since my living room is relatively clean today (company is coming soon...ha ha), I thought I'd share. Our house is pretty small and the living room definitely has that cozy feeling. It's not my dream house or dream living room, but it's comfy for me. Welcome to my home . . .

IMG_1789Since we live in a bi-level home we technically have two living/ family rooms but only use the one upstairs.This is the view of our entryway from upstairs.

IMG_1781At the top of the stairs are our bookcases, which I am almost embarrassed to show you. By the way, we do not have children (yet) but do have four animals. This is the reason for the baby gate.

IMG_1792Here is another view. The bookcases are seriously in need of re-decorating. This is on my project list. The plan is to remove most of the books and movies. I’d like to add some more “decorative” things but nothing too knick-knacky. If you have any great ideas for bookcases let me know! IMG_1780 Looking into our living room from the top of the stairs. It looks like a Lifetime movie is on TV.

IMG_1768Here’s another view. Notice the ledge in the background. We added that about five years ago. It  certainly makes the once-empty space more lively.

IMG_1769This is a view from the kitchen. Oh look, Haylie Duff is on today’s Lifetime movie.

 IMG_1779

Another view of the ledge and my comfy recliner, which my husband hates. Oh well, he doesn’t have to sit in it. We picked that rocking horse up at a garage sale, and that’s my Raggedy Ann doll. I look forward to snapping a picture of our “someday” child sitting next to these. The other stuff on the floor belongs to the dogs and cats (our “now” children).IMG_1773A view from the living room looking into the kitchen. This is not how our couch normally looks.

IMG_1774My husband’s friend used to work in a cigar shop. When the shop went out of business his friend bought this shelf. My husband acquired it when his friend moved out of the country.

The items on the shelves in our living room have significant meaning. Here are just a few of the special things. . .

IMG_1775Our wedding album. We’re coming up on two years.

IMG_1776Our cake topper

IMG_1777Our toasting flutes and wedding certificate (inside silver holder)

IMG_1793 Our hourglass from the sand ceremony on our wedding day. I just love being able to turn it over and over again and again and watch the sand flow.

IMG_1778

IMG_1794 IMG_1796

I discovered pottery painting a few months ago (great therapy). The plate is the first thing I painted. The bottom two items have to do with our hopes and dreams for a future child.

Well, I don’t think it’s fair to give you a tour of our home without truly keeping it real. So, here are some “behind the scenes” pictures of  what you would truly see when walking in to our home . . .

 IMG_1784
Brandie making herself at home on the couch . . .

IMG_1785Autumn cleaning out the empty peanut butter jar . . .
 IMG_1787and Archie and Sophie wishing they were outdoor cats.

So, there you have it. That’s my living room. And, if you made it to the end of this post then i should offer you a great big slice of this . . .
IMG_1367

BlogSignaturesmallercopy-1

2 comments:

  1. it looks great! i love love love the sand from your wedding day! so sweet! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed looking at pictures of your house! Thanks for sharing. It was good hearing from you too!!! And it's very very normal to feel in a funk! Praying God gets you out of it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete